I confess I have made these like 3 times in the last month trying to get a good picture, but don't worry none of them went to waste! I love brownies, I love creating new ways to enjoy a delicious brownie so I came up with these babies!! You won't be disappointed, they are great!
Brownie ingredients: (I ALWAYS use this recipe for all my brownies, they turn out perfect!)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg whites
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6-7 reduced-fat oreos, chopped in big chunks
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon tub butter
2 oreos, chopped into small pieces, but not crushed into crumbs
a little bit of milk
1. Ok, preheat your oven to 350. In a large bowl,combine your applesauce, sugar, vanilla and egg whites together. Mix until smooth. Next add in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Mix with a whisk or spoon until combine.
2. Pour into a greased 9x9 baking pan and cook for 10 minutes. While the brownies are cooking, chop your oreos into big chunks. After 10 minutes, take out your brownies and sprinkle the oreos all over the top of your batter. Press gently to set in and bake for another 10 minutes or until done in center. When they are done, allow them to cool so the frosting doesn't melt when spread it on top.
3. While they are cooling we will make the yummy frosting. Ok, in a medium bowl put your butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar. With an electric mixer, combine the two until smooth. Give it some time, it will come together (If it doesn't add a TINY bit of milk). Now you need to add another 1/2 cup of sugar and a bit of milk to thin out the frosting. You may add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar (I did) and a little milk to get it to the right consistency. I wanted my frosting to be thicker than a glaze but not so stiff that is tears the brownies.
4. Last step in adding in the chopped oreos. You will want to use a large wooden spoon or a rubber scraper and gently fold the cookies in. You don't want to break up the oreos too much and turn your frosting grey. Carefully frost your brownies and enjoy!!
* Cover with plastic wrap and keep out on counter to stay fresh for nibbling.