YUM! This recipe is my mom's and it is amazing! These are the best chewy granola bars and soooo good for you. I make up a batch, cut them into bars and pop them in lunches and diaper bags. Super easy, super yummy!
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup raisins or another chopped dried fruit
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light maple syrup
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 egg whites
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Ok, this is super easy, you will have these made in no time! Ready, set, go!
Combine oats, flour, soda and salt. Add in your dried fruit and walnuts.
2. In another bowl beat together sugar, syrup, peanut butter and egg whites. After nice and smooth pour into dry ingredients. Add those chocolate chips now!
3. Spread into a foil lined and sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Pat down. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. I know it sounds weird but it is a must!
4. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cool all the way and then cut into bars.
* I melt a handful of chocolate chips in a zip lock bag and snip the end off to drizzle a bit of yummy chocolate on top.
* When I cut my bars I trimmed all the edges off first (they tend to be a bit harder becuase they are on the edge of the pan) So snack on those and then after cutting all your bars wrap them individually in saran wrap to stay fresh. Put the in the freezer then take one out when every you need one.
* You can add dried cranberries, apples, apricots, blueberries, anything!