Well, it is a new year and everyone is out to eat healthy and start fresh. I personally believe that you can eat healthy and light with main dish meals and dessert. :) That is what this blog is all about. I love food. Love it. I love cooking and enjoying time around the table with family and friends. There is so much good food out there just waiting for me to modify it, lower the calories and fat and make it just as good! So wish me luck!
Well this dish was outstanding! Seriously, really good. I had it at a friends house and then with in a week I made it too! We loved it and it was a fun way to introduce Greek food to my family. Super healthy, tons of flavor....try it!
1 package of Taboule Wheat Salad (I got the NEAR EAST brand)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup peeled, chopped cucumber
1/4 chopped fresh basil
chopped grilled chicken (for as many people as you are feeding)
salt and pepper to taste
romaine lettuce leaves
1. In a large bowl combine the taboule wheat salad and the spice packed. Stir in 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and let stand 30 minutes in the fridge.
2. While the taboule is cooling, chop your tomatoes, cucumber, zest and juice your lemon, chop your basil and grill the chicken. Ok, that seems like a lot, but you can totally get that all done in 30 minutes. And if not that's ok :)
3. After 30 minutes is up add in your tomato, cucumber, cheese, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and basil. Taste and add salt and pepper if you like. Toss that baby together and let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour before you eat.
4. When it is time to serve make a bed of torn lettuce leaves on your plate, top with your wheat salad and place you grilled chopped chicken right on top. Oh..... so good. Serve with lemon wedges and a fruit for a yummy dinner.
* You could also serve this with hummus and homemade pita chips like us.... yum!