1 recipe for bread (homemade, store bought, or frozen)
4 oz of low fat Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Salsa
1 lb ground turkey, cooked and seasoned with a taco seasoning packet
1 can (15oz) of black beans (drained)
1 cup of colby cheese, grated
1. Roll dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle on a floured surface. Carefully place your dough on a greased cookie sheet. It's very important to place the dough on the cookie sheet before you fill it because once you fill it, it will be too heavy to move onto the cookie sheet. :) Mix salsa and cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth. I take a knife and gently score my dough, dividing it into thirds length wise. This was I know where all the filling is supposed to go and the outer edges are ready to be cut and braided. Ok, spread the cream cheese and salsa mixture down the center. Then top it with the seasoned meat and black beans. Sprinkle with cheese.
2.On each long side, cut 1 inch wide strips about 2-1/2-inches into center. I use my clean kitchen scissors. It makes it super easy. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling.
3. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Don't worry about what it looks like. After rising for a few minutes and cooking it..... it will look beautiful!
4. Next, cover and let rise for 20 minutes. I just let it sit in the oven that I turned on for a few minutes, then turned off. Just warm....not hot.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cover with a big piece of foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and lightly spray with butter flavored non-stick spray. Ok, that may seem weird and gross, but it's not! This is my secret to soft bread right out of the oven. So lightly spray it and put the foil back over it while it cools for a few minutes. You will have soft, fluffy bread. promise!Transfer your braid to cutting board with 2 spatulas and cut of big pieces of delishisness! I
* Serve this with a green salad, sour cream and guacamole.
The finished braid. Before cutting into it. You see that baby eyeballing dinner? So good.