This dinner was a hit. Just yesterday at dinner, eating something completely different, my 5 year old daughter asked me when were were going to have breakfast pockets again. When she asks questions like that, I know I have done something right!
These are a really easy weeknight meal or a fun Saturday breakfast. I love that all the yumminess is on the inside so even little hands can hold these. Nice and warm from the oven, you have to try these!
3 cups Heart Healthy Bisquick
1 cup fat free/low fat milk
6 eggs, beaten, scrambled and cooked
salt and pepper (for eggs)
1/2 lb. turkey sausage, crumbled and cooked
grated cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, or pepper jack
1. This is nice and easy. First, mix up your bisquick and milk. Once it has formed a dough, plop it onto a floured counter and roll out into a nice big rectangle. Make sure your surface is good and floured because you don't want these sticking when you are trying to assemble them. You want your dough to be fairly thin. If not when they cook up you will have a TON of biscuit and not enough filling. They puff up :)
2. Next, you are going to cut your dough into smaller rectangles. About 4x6 inches. You should be able to make 8-9 pockets. Now you are going to fill them. Add a bit of cheese, sausage, and egg right to the middle of your rectangle. You are now going to bring up all the edges and sides and pinch them in the center. Keep your fingers floured so you don't have a sticky mess, too. Flip it over and place it on a greased cookie sheet. It is ok if they don't look beautiful, they will once they are cooked.
3. Assemble the rest of your pockets and put them in a 450 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
4. My family loves dipping them in ketchup but they are great on their own. Add a fruit salad and smoothies and you have dinner.... or breakfast!
* it would be great to make a batch and keep them wrapped in the freezer for a quick breakfast too!