Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade Granola

This granola is my mom's recipe and when I got married I just had to get it from her! It is so yummy and healthy! No oil or butter and still crunchy and sweet. I get all the ingredients from the bulk section of the grocery store. You will love this with milk or yogurt!


* This recipe can be tweaked to as big or small as you want. You kinda eyeball it as you go. I make a big batch about 14 cups worth and put 1/2 in a cereal tub and 1/2 in the freezer for when I run out!

Ingredients
4 cups quick oat
4 cups 5 grain oat mixture ( they have this at winco)
3 cups crushed raisin bran
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts, chopped
1-2 cups brown sugar, eyeball it and taste it as you go.
( You can have it sweeter or not as sweet! I like sweet!)
1 cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup honey or light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
salt

1. Combine all the oats, crushed cereal, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well ( I use two bowls because it is a big recipe and mix with my hands). Then give the mixture a good dash of salt.
2. Combine juice concentrate and honey/corn syrup in a glass measuring cup. Heat it up to combine the flavors. Pour over granola and mix using your hands. Mix really well.


3. Spread out over a sprayed cookie sheet. You may need two. Bake at 250 for 30 minutes. Give it a stir and bake for another 30 minutes. Stir one more time and bake for another 30 minutes. After it has been in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, turn the oven off and let it sit in the oven and cool on the sheets before transferring to containers or zip lock bags. This will make it good and crunchy! You can alter this recipe to fit you..... add crasiens, coconut, almonds, dried apples, anything! Enjoy!
Delicious and crunchy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks you!!! I've been wanting to make granola forever but every recipe I find is too complicated. This looks my level and really yummy. I'm going to make it now!

    ReplyDelete