Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yummy Shepherd's Pie

I am a Rachel Ray fan, especially of her food and recipes! They always turn out great! Well, this 30 minute pie is so easy and good, delicious comfort food that is of course healthy and quick. It makes a casserole full so good for leftovers or in your hubby's lunch! It will fill an empty belly!


I am not sure why but you can't see any carrots in this picture, but I assure you they are in there!!

Ingredients:

2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cubed ( I guessed about 5-6 med potatoes)

1 lb. ground turkey

1 carrot, peeled and chopped

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

1 cup beef broth

2 teaspoons Worcestershire

1/2 cup frozen peas

2 tablespoons sour cream

1/4 cup milk

1 teaspoon paprika

fresh parsley

1. In a large pot, boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.

2. While potatoes boil, beat a large skilled over med-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil and add ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3-4 minutes. Add carrot and onion. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet or sauce pan over med. heat cook butter and flour together, 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire. Cook to thicken, 1 minute. Add gravy to meat mixture. Stir in peas.

3. Drain potatoes and pour into bowl. Combine sour cram and milk. Pour the mixture into potatoes and mas until almost smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

4. Preheat broiler to high. Fill and 2 quart dish with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes evenly over the meat. Sprinkle with paprika and broil 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

* I would serve this with tomatoes or a green salad. Add a biscuit and you are good to go!

* I made extra potatoes so my kids could eat them without the meat. They loved it!!

1 comment:

  1. This is the Shepherd's Pie recipe I use. Sometimes I use the food storage instant potatoes if I have some open. Makes it even faster! I think the Worcestershire sauce makes the taste. I need to buy that biscuit mix. They tasted so yummy.

    ReplyDelete