I LOVE this recipe! I have been making this since Rex and I were first married and we still love it to this day! Perfect for fall or a chilly day, warms you right up and you can't go wrong with mac and cheese :)
2 1/2 cups uncooked short pasta
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups low-fat or fat free milk
1 teaspoon spicy mustard (I usually add a bit more because I love it)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or colby
1 cup cut up ham or hot dogs (my kids like hot dogs:)
1. Heat oven to 400. Cook and drain pasta.
2. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Cook the garlic in the butter for about 30 seconds (don't let it burn it will be bitter) stirring frequently. Next stir in the flour and salt. When it is mixed together, it might be a bit lumpy, gradually add in the milk.
3. Using a whisk, stir in the milk. Continue stirring and turn the heat to boiling. Boil and stir about 1 minute until it has thickened up a bit.
4. Stir in the mustard and cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
5. Now your pasta should be done so drain it and return to pot. Add the sauce and ham/hot dogs it and stir. Pour into a greased 2 qt. casserole dish and bake for about 5-10 minutes until golden and browned on top.
* Serve this with a side salad or steamed green beans or broccoli. You are set!