This meal is super easy and something that my grandma taught me how to make back in high school. It is a great comfort food dinner and perfect for a chilly day.
1 lb. ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
1/2 small onion, chopped
2-3 tablespoons flour
low fat/fat free milk
salt and pepper
5-6 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1. Get a big pot of salted water boiling and toss those potatoes in. While they are cooking you can make the gravy.
2. In a skillet over medium heat add a bit of olive oil and add the ground meat and onions. Cook until meat is cooked through and onions are soft and translucent. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. (you will taste for flavor later too...)
3. Next, sprinkle the flour over your meat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. You want the mixture to absorb all the flour and make a paste like texture. Once the flour has been added, you now add a splash of milk and stir. You continue to add milk and stir until you reach the consistency you like. *Kinda like the gravy on biscuits thickness*. Go ahead and taste for flavor. Add more salt and even garlic powder to enhance flavor. Let it sit on low while you drain and mash your potatoes. (You can continue to add milk if it thickens up on you while you are making the potatoes)
4. Flavor the potatoes like you would regular mashed potatoes. Serve by scooping potatoes onto each plate and pouring your gravy right on top. Garnish with green onions if you want.
* I serve this with a dark green veggie like broccoli, green beans, or a salad. Pair it with garlic bread or muffins and you are set!