Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chocoalte Raspberry Layerd Cake

I love this blog. I love food. I love cooking and baking. Why do I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to post then??? Oh yeah.... this is why.... :)
(all decked out in 4th of July attire)

I love my girls. I feel so lucky that I get to stay home and cook and play with my girls. But time slips away and before you know it, it is 11:30 p.m. and I haven't even turned on the computer all day! I PROMISE that I will be posting at least 2 times a week now that we are on a better schedule and Olivia is more settled. AND, I have a ton of pictures ready to be posted.... so there you go! Whoo hoo!

Ok, on to one of the best cakes ever! Rex requests this cake every time I ask him what he wants for dessert. Usually I find so wonderful chocolate creation and make it before I even ask him if it sounds good.... He is so good to put up with me :) This cake is amazing. And easy too! I cut a TON of fat and calories out so cut a big slice and enjoy!


Ingredients:

1 devil's food cake mix
egg whites, applesauce, water
1 8 oz. package low fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup white chocolate chips, melted and cooled a bit
1 tub fat free cool whip, thawed
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup fat-free half and half

1. Prepare the cake as directed substituting the applesauce for oil and egg whites for eggs. Pour into two 9 inch pans that have been sprayed with non stick spray. Bake as directed. Let the cakes cool in the pans. When they are cool, carefully remove them and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for an hour.
2. Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with electric mixer and until creamy. Add the melted white chocolate and mix well. Next with a whisk, gently stir in 3/4 of the tub of cool whip. If your mixture seems lumpy that is ok. I probably means that the cool whip was cold and the melted white chips cooled quickly in the mixture. Don't worry, it won't effect the filling or flavor at all. It will be perfect.
3. Ok, lets assemble this cake! Carefully cut your cakes horizontally in half with a long sharp knife. I used my bread knife. You will have 4 layers. Make sure to trim all the layers to be the same thickness. Place 1 layer on a plate or cake stand. Spread it with 1/3 cup of jam. Then carefully spread 1/3 of the cool whip mixture on top of the jam. Take your time and spread it evenly. Repeat the cake, jam, cool whip layers 2 more times and top your cake with the last layer of cake.
4. In a sauce pan on the stove, melt your chocolate chips and half and half together until smooth and creamy. You want it to be pourable, so add a bit more liquid if you need to. Ok, pour that yummy sauce all over the top and allow a bit to drip down the sides too. Oh yum......Let your cake set for an hour or two so the flavors really come together. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment