I love this snack! I found a similar recipe in family circle, but changed it to make it my own! It is really healthy and perfect for a mid afternoon snack. Good for lunches, after dinner, anytime! Kids love it too, and it is full of healthy fruit! Enjoy!
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup diced golden delicious apples
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. This is so easy! Heat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 or 8x8 square pan REALLY well with non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed blend together sugar, egg whites, applesauce and vanilla until fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
4. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add flour mixture. Mix just for a minute until just Incorporated. Stir in diced apples, raisins, and nuts. Spread into pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees fro about 30-35 minutes or until center is cooked through. Let cool all the way before eating!!
* Whole wheat pastry flour does make the batter a darker color as opposed to using white ! BUT, No one will be able to tell you used whole wheat flour because the cinnamon makes the batter darker, disguising the whole wheat flour. I use this technique in pancakes, waffles and muffins! Just add cinnamon!
* When using whole wheat flour: Use whole wheat pastry flour in muffins, cookies, quick breads, pancakes, cakes, brownies...... anything besides yeast breads. This kind of flour is lighter and not gritty perfect for baked goods. You can find it in the bulk section or even in your baking isle. It is loaded with fiber and great for your whole body!!
** Don't forget to post for the giveaway. You can comment on this post or go back to the original!