There is nothing.... I repeat nothing better than a warm homemade tortilla. Seriously, I could just eat a stack of these babies for dinner but I am nice and shared with the rest of my family. These are incredible. They will change the way you look at tortillas forever. Try them, you will love them. Promise!
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm fat free milk
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil in a large bowl. (I used my stand mixer)
2. Slowly add the warm milk. Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed. Knead your dough for two minutes on a floured surface or in your mixer. The dough should be firm and soft.
3. Place your dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
4. After the dough has rested, break off 8-12 sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
5. After the dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
6. In a dry iron skillet or I used my electric skilled (usually used for pancakes)heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
7. Keep your cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat. Eat them when they are warm..... so good!
* Have these with fajitas, soup, on the side with taco salad, or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat!