Here is another wonderful, healthy, warm soup for you this fall. I started making this when I was first married and it has been a keeper! This recipe is made with ground turkey but you could use shredded chicken or an extra can of beans to make it a vegetarian meal. Anyway you go it is spicy and wonderful!!
1 lb. ground turkey (or cooked shredded chicken)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can sweet corn, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
2 (15oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can diced green chilies
1 package taco seasoning
warm tortillas (homemade recipe is next!)
1. This is the easiest soup....ever. In a big soup pot heat to medium/high heat and cook your onions until they start to become translucent. Add in your ground turkey and brown until cooked through. Add your seasoning packet and to the meat and onions. Give that a stir and open ALL those cans.
2. One by one add your canned veggies and beans. Now if you want to go vegetarian add another can of kidney beans or a can of black beans. Also, if you are using chicken add that now. Allow your soup to come to a simmer to combine all the flavors. Turn it to low and keep warm until dinner.
3. If your soup gets a bit thick, just thin it out with a bit of water. When it is time to dish up you can add cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, crushed chips.....OK you can add a ton of stuff to really spice this soup up!
* Serve with tortillas on the side or corn chips. I made homemade tortillas that were amazing!! I seriously could have eaten those and been completely satisfied.... but the soup is good too!!
* Tortillas are the next post!