Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

I am so sorry that I haven't posted in a while. It was killing me but my family has been so sick :( But I am back and I have LOTS of yummy fall food for you so check over the next couple of days! Ok today is pumpkin bread!! Yum! This is a copy cat Great Harvest recipe that I tweaked. SO GOOD perfect for fall!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
16 oz cooked or canned pumpkin (aprox. 2 cups)
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoon oil
5 egg whites, lightly beaten
2/3 cup water
1 cup chocolate chips... or more :)

1. Oven at 350. Grease 2 loaf pans. This makes a lot!
2. Mix flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix pumpkin, applesauce, oil, egg whites and water together. Stir into dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Place batter into prepared pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely and eat!! Store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.

* I pour half the batter into one pan first and then add the chocolate chips to the other half, so I have one of each kind of bread
* Only fill your pans a little over half. If they are too full they take a really long time to cook. If they bake for over 75 minutes, the bottoms can tend to get darker than you will like. I fill both my pans a little over half full and then I still have enough to make about 6-7 muffins. But every oven is different. Mine is ghetto, so I have to adjust some recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Kase and I made the pumkin bread on friday during nap time, it was SO good. We had honey-lime enchiladas for dinner, Seth loved them! Love your food blog we have made quite a few things off of it. Amber

    ReplyDelete