1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
2-3 cups quick oats
bag of frozen mixed berries, thawed (or your fav berries)
1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Mix sugars, applesauce, egg white and vanilla together. Add the dry ingredients to wet. (Add enough oats to make a moderately stiff dough.) Press about 2/3 dough into a greased 8x8 pan with floured fingers. Set aside.
2. Place the berries in a sauce pan over med heat. Add enough sugar to sweeten how you like it. Bring the berries to a boil then add a tablespoon corn starch. Turn heat down to medium and stir constantly until thick. Add more cornstarch if you want a thicker sauce. You want it pretty thick so it doesn't soak into your crust.
3. Pour and spread over the top of crust. Take remaining dough in small amounts and press with hands into flat pieces. Lay them on top of berries until the top is mostly covered. (It is ok to have gaps in between dough, it makes it look pretty and it will cook up nicely). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool and cut into bars.
* Adding walnuts to the dough would be delish!
* This recipe is incredibly low fat and it is great because the bars are nice and soft all the way through!