1 3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg (or two egg whites)
3/4 cup of milk
1/4 oil (I use 1/4 applesauce and you can't tell any different!)
*To make lemon poppy seed: add one teaspoon lemon zest, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and increase sugar to 1/2 cup. Then I made a quick glaze with milk , powdered sugar and a bit of almond extract. Top with slivered almonds!
1. Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin cups or line with paper baking cups; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center of mixture; set aside
3. In another bowl combine egg, milk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moist...VERY IMPORTANT. If you over mix muffins they will get tough and will form peaks and not round tops. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, serve warm.
* To make banana muffins: reduce milk to 1/2 cup, stir in 3/4 cup mashed banana, and add 1/2 chopped nuts
* To make apple cinnamon: add 3/4 cup diced apple and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* For streusel topping: combine 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Top any of the variety of muffins with topping right before baking.